Frank Lloyd Wright Designed Home Renovation and Construction
This property is historically significant as it involves the renovation of a home designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1955. The original vision of the project consisted of a main house, which is an 1875 sq. ft. residence named the “Studio” by the original owners, and three cottages. Construction of the “Studio” began in 1955 and was carefully built by the hands of the original owners Don and Virginia Loveness. Of the three cottages that were designed by Wright only one was built. That 600 sq ft structure, simply referred to as the “Cottage,” was built in 1974 from a design that Wright created prior to his death in 1959. These buildings were designed during Wright’s Usonian period which gave rise to his “Prairie School” Style of Architecture.
The Studio Renovation
The Studio renovation entailed the installation of totally new Mechanical/Plumbing Systems which included a concrete floor hot water heating system. The in-floor heating system was a complicated task as it required the removal of the existing concrete floor to facilitate the installation. Structural correction to the roof was performed and a new composite roofing system and insulation were installed. The stone chimney, which had deteriorated above the roofline, was also rebuilt.
From an aesthetic stand point, all existing woodwork, windows and exterior doors were salvaged, refinished and re-installed. The kitchen was updated with new quarter-sawn oak cabinets, solid surface countertops and new appliances. Then the master bedroom and Master Bath were revamped with a large soaking tub, new cabinetry, ceramic wall tiles and updated fixtures.